Brandy is the generic term for any spirit distilled from the juice, fruit and pulp of any kind of fruit. What we call brandy is made from grapes that are distilled, aged in oak barrels and transferred to glass jars after maturation.
- Young brandy – 2 to 3 years.
- Mature brandy – 10 to 15 years.
- Excellent brandy – 40 to 60 years.
Cognac is Brandy from the Charente-Martime area in France. Each bottle of cognac is a blend of cognacs from different houses and vintages.
- *** Three Star/V.S. – the youngest in the blend is 4.5 years old
- V.S.O.P or V.O (Very Special [or Superior] Old Pale) – youngest in the blend is 4.5 to 6 years old
- Napoleon, Grande Reserve, X.O, Extra Vieille – youngest in the blend is 6.5 years old